Jun 8, 2010

I'm Back

After much delay (so sorry) I am happy to report that I am back in POM and settling in to a busy lifestyle again. My biggest recent excitement was my move into a new apartment. Although I miss the old neighborhood, I really do love the location of, and the view from, my new digs. On the downside, however, is the fact that the place leaks like a sieve. I was "misled" a bit when I Moved in as to just how much it leaks, so now I spend hours each day attempting to mop up buckets of accumulated water. So, sadly, I probably won't be here long. Still, I'm giving it my best shot because I really hate to give up this wonderful view!

Now, on to the pictures!

This first photo shows the building where my apartment is located. I am on the top floor, left corner. This gives me a beautiful view of the harbour to the northwest as well as a view of Walter Bay to the southwest. The building houses offices on all floors except the top where there are 5 or 6 apartments. Mine defintely has the best view! I am just across the street from the Crowne Plaza hotel, so I have access to a restaurant, a backup internet service, and a convenient ATM machine when I need them.


This is the view that greets me when I walk in to my apartment. The apartment is relatively spacious and affords the most wonderful views. I can leave the shades up in the mornings and evenings, but have to put the blinds down on the harbour side in the middle of the day as the light is too bright for me to work by. By late afternoon, however, I am ready to open the blinds once again. I like this location so much and am now thinking I may continue to use it as my primary office space. [IF we resolve the water issue, that is!]



The harbour is a busy, bustling space and there is construction going on all around me. So the city is noisy and bustling during the day, and I have had no problems at all with being able to sleep at night. I haven't gotten out and walked the streets much yet, but that's mainly because I have been so busy with other matters. I expect I will be ready for some exploring when the weekend rolls around.



My small stove is pushed right up next to the window, so it is really easiest on me when I cook to just open the window to make sure I don't catch something on fire. (Leo would joke that I cook by fire alarm, but it's not true.)


My bedroom is also large and actually a waste of space as the only things in it are a bed and some closets. I thought about arranging my office in that room at first, leaving the living area open for entertaining. Then I remembered...I don't entertain! All I ever do is work! :-) So, I scratched the original plan and set my office up right in the middle of my living space. Hey...it works for me!


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful stories Bea, thanks for blogging again. Your tales remind me of my wonderful times in PNG, and you are not the only whitey to wear a Bilum in Australia.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve. Thanks for your comments! Sometimes I feel very much alone in my thinking and activities here. Good to know I am not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were often times in PNG for myself despite being totally immersed in a Culture of which family and wantoks make such an importance, that I felt isolated and alone. I kinda likened it to those moments when you drink too much cola and eat too much sugary sweets and get such a sugar high, that when the body balances it all out, you hit a sugar low.

    Its that Yin/Yang thing happening. We're still out here in cyberspace reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you do know how to make me feel good. Sugar high/sugar low is a great description...think I know exactly what you mean. You ever get over this way again, you MUST look me up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete